Camping/Fishing Season in the Park, May 15 thru Labor Day This Year 2018
(Camping /Fishing available along Rio Costilla Streams & Rio Costilla River)
Rio Costilla Park consists of 10,000 acres and is the ideal location whether you are planning a get-a-way for two people or a family vacation. Weather conditions permitting, the park opens May 15th this year and runs through Labor Day weekend in September this year. Latir lakes open pending road conditions and the spawning of the native trout typically the first week of July. We recommend you confirm dates and rates they are subject to change. We recommend you travel prepared. Absolutely NO FIREWORKS.
RCCLA Follows Carson National Forest Fire Restrictions:
Carson National Forest Plans Stage 2 Fire Restrictions Effective May 23
Taos, NM (May 21, 2018) – For Immediate Release. The Carson National Forest will implement forestwide
Stage 2 fire restrictions effective Wednesday, May 23 at 8:00 a.m. The Stage 2 fire restrictions
will remain in effect across the forest until conditions allow forest officials to change or lift the
restrictions. Stage 2 restrictions prohibit the following:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove –
exceptions: the use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, propane grills, or heating devices is
allowed, provided such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specification for safety and has a turnoff
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building
3. Using an explosive
4. Operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine from 10:00
a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
5. Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device
that is properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order. They must meet either
USDA Forest Service or appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended
6. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame
7. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads – exceptions: parking in an
area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway or overnight parking in Forest Service
developed campgrounds and at trailheads
8. Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device
9. Discharging a firearm, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal or tribal
laws and regulations
Fire restrictions enhance public safety, protect natural and cultural resources, and help prevent humancaused
fires. Several criteria are used to determine when to implement fire restrictions, including fire
activity levels, current and predicted weather, fuel moisture, and the availability of firefighting resources.
Additional restrictions may be required if conditions warrant.
Campfires on the national forest while under fire restrictions is a violation of law that requires a
mandatory appearance in federal court, consequent fines, and possible jail time.
Fire restrictions in New Mexico can be found at https://firerestrictions.us/nm/ and fire updates are
posted on the New Mexico Fire Information website at www.nmfireinfo.com.
### USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. ###
Entrance fees to the Rio Costilla Park apply, whether you choose to take a brief tour or stay the night. Daily Entrance fee must be paid. Daytime entrance allows the permit holder to take a scenic drive, picnic or relax with family and friends during daylight hours. Camping entrance fee allows visitors Park access up to a maximum of 24 hours.
Entrance and/or Overnight Camping
- Day Entrance Only: $10.00 per vehicle per day. Day entry up to 8:00 PM Only.
- Overnight Entrance for Camping: $20.00 per vehicle per day. Fee covers up to 24 Hours
- Fishing: An Additional $7.00 per person per day
- Fishing fee applies for Park Streams and/or Lakes Only
- New Mexico State Fishing License Required for Rio Costilla Streams and Costilla River
- Daily permit entitles visitors to camp, picnic, hike, or bicycle ride within designated areas of the park
- Campsites are not be left unattended for more than 24-hours
- Permits Available at Main Park Gate Entrance and also at El Gato RV Campground
- Trash dumpster – located across from big Canopy in Park
- Septic Waste dump site – located at the old El Gato Lodge
- No Potable water in Park, however RVs/Trailers can be filled with potable water at Park’s main office, located in Costilla, NM.
Out-of-town and Out-of -state Season Passes
- Season passes available. Passes entitles visitors and immediate family (spouse, and any children under the age of 18 years old) to enjoy fishing, camping and recreational activities on Rio Costilla Park open acres only. Contact the RCCLA Office if interested, 575-586-0542.
Canyon Cutties by Greg Flores