Camping/Fishing Season May 1 thru Labor Day Each Year
Rio Costilla Park consists of 10,000 acres and is the ideal location whether you are planning a get-a-way for two people or a family vacation. Weather conditions permitting, the park opens May 1st and runs through Labor Day weekend in September each year. Latir lakes open pending road conditions and the spawning of the native trout typically mid to late June. We recommend you confirm dates and rates they are subject to change. Fire restrictions may apply in times of drought. We recommend you travel prepared. Absolutely NO FIREWORKS.
Entrance fees to the Rio Costilla Park apply, whether you choose to take a brief tour or stay the night. Daily Entrance fee must be paid. Daytime entrance allows the permit holder to take a scenic drive, picnic or relax with family and friends during daylight hours. Camping entrance fee allows visitors Park access up to a maximum of 24 hours.
Entrance and/or Overnight Camping
- Day Entrance Only: $10.00 per vehicle per day. Day entry up to 8:00 PM Only.
- Overnight Entrance for Camping: $20.00 per vehicle per day. Fee covers up to 24 Hours
- Fishing: An Additional $7.00 per person per day
- Fishing fee applies for Park Streams and/or Lakes Only
- New Mexico State Fishing License Required for Rio Costilla Streams and Costilla River
- Daily permit entitles visitors to camp, picnic, hike, or bicycle ride within designated areas of the park
- Campsites are not be left unattended for more than 24-hours
- Permits Available at Main Park Gate Entrance and also at El Gato RV Campground
- Trash dumpster – located across from big Canopy in Park
- Septic Waste dump site – located at the old El Gato Lodge
- No Potable water in Park, however RVs/Trailers can be filled with potable water at Park’s main office, located in Costilla, NM.
Out-of-town and Out-of -state Season Passes
- Season passes available. Passes entitles visitors and immediate family (spouse, and any children under the age of 18 years old) to enjoy fishing, camping and recreational activities on Rio Costilla Park open acres only. Contact the RCCLA Office if interested, 575-586-0542.
Canyon Cutties by Greg Flores